Friday, April 25, 2014
OV PRESENTS: The Times @ Ace Hotel DTLA!
OV is very excited to announce a new weekly DJ night at Upstairs at Ace Hotel that Neil will be participating in! It kicks off Friday, May 2nd and will happen every Friday night thereafter!
The concept of the night was birthed when Neil spoke on a vinyl collecting panel with his good buds The Gaslamp Killer from Low End Theory, DJ Soft Touch from Funky Sole, and Chris Ziegler from LA Record. Their collective passion for records and turning people on to music inspired them to find a way to make this magic happen more regularly. At the same time The Ace Hotel in DTLA and Neil were talking about doing some sort of DJ night on their rooftop bar.
The goal was to try and bring together 8 people with the same passion for music and would cover a diverse landscape of sounds and culture. The 8 residents would rotate 2 at a time on a weekly basis and the idea would be that no pair would be the same until the rotation was complete. This means they could have 28 different pairings each week!
The 8 DJs are:
- The Gaslamp Killer, Brainfeeder recording artist and Low End Theory co-founder
- Nick Waterhouse, Pres/Innovative Leisure recording artist and producer
- Chris Ziegler, co-founder and editor/publisher of indie music mag LA Record
- Steve Harrington, psychedelic artist and co-founder of design firm National Forest
- Brian Shimkovitz, curator of the Awesome Tapes From Africa blog and record label
- Mark 'Frosty' McNeill, co-founder and creative director of online radio station dublab
- Clifton Weaver a.k.a. DJ Soft Touch, Funky Sole and Club Rubbish resident
- Neil Schield, owner and founder of Origami Vinyl, a record shop in Echo Park
Neil & co. be kicking things off on May 2nd and all 8 DJs will be there throwing down sets! Steve Harrington and National Forest will be giving out a limited edition artist print on opening night as well, so be sure to get there early!
The night is free entry, 21+, and goes from 9pm 'til 2am
Follow The Times on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram @origamivinyl #thetimesofla #acedtla
Hope to see you all there!